Friday, July 27, 2007

ComboLimiter: Urei BL 40


I just unwrapped my new BL-40 Modulimiter, and I must say it looks amazing. Alan Garren at Waltzing Bear did a superb job with all of the mods, including the knobs. He was even kind enought to send me a PDF block diagram of the how the compressor/limiter functions. He describes the BL-40 as an LA-3A and an "1176 on steriods." Basically it has a T4 cell for the optical/RMS gain reduction and an FET style limiter which can be switched in and out before the output stage. After testing the unit with a couple drummachines, I was fucking amazed.

3 comments:

craigmorris74 said...

I was searching for info about the BL-40 and came across this blog. Would it be possible for you to pass on the information given to you be Waltzing Bear such as the diagrams or in general what mods were performed? I have one myself and have made some small changes to the circuit, but am considering some different changes as well.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Craig Morris

Anonymous said...

You wanna be fucking amazed, put 'er on an AM station and watch the mod meters STAND STILL at 97% neg and 120% positive. Not the loudest box ever, but it sure as hell could modulate and with NO clipper!

Anonymous said...

lonEnvero
[url=http://healthplusrx.com/floaters]floaters[/url]
ovacethiptove