Friday, June 22, 2007

Moog Custom Engineering AKA Modusonics Dual VCO

I just got a chance to borrow a Moog Custom Engineering Dual VCO from Roger at Big City Music.

These units were not built by Robert Moog but they are basically a rackmounted pair of the Moog 921a VCO modules (correction, according to Mike Bucki at Modusonics the Dual VCO is based on the 3rd rev. Minimoog or Minimoog Model C & D).

I did some direct comparisons between my Voyager and the VCO in the CE, and the CE killed the Voyager at every waveform tested. The triangle wave on the Dual VCO had a smooth, liquid sound that the Voyager could not replicate. The Dual VCO's sine wave has an incredible amount of bass, even without any filtering. By far the best feature on the Dual VCO is the sync funtion. I tried to replicate the exact same sync-lead sound on both the CE and the Voyager, and even with identical settings the CE's sync sound was much smoother and vocal-like.

I am seriously considering placing an order with Modusonics.

8 comments:

Tommy DOG said...

When I spoke to Mike Bucki today and I mentioned this post, which he was happy to hear about.

The VCOs are based on the 3rd (last) version of the Minimoog VCO not the 921.

IMO: the Dual VCO rack I really great sounding and is a nice compliment to a modular, Moog or otherwise.

kato said...

Thanks for the info, and for telling Mike about my post :)

Anonymous said...

I would like to see one picture of the back panel, so curious I am...

Robert Andrew Scott said...

Has anyone got schematics for this dual VCO module?

-robert

Anonymous said...

Nice post... Looks like solid-state memory is really starting to become more popular. Hopefully we'll start seeing a drop in SSD prices soon. 5 dollar 32 gig SDs for your DS flash card... sounds good to me!

(Submitted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://does-the-r4-r4i-work-with-the-new-ds.onsugar.com/Does-R4i-R4-actually-work-7232282]R4[/url] KU2)

Anonymous said...

Virtual Memory sure is becoming cheaper these days. I wonder when we will finally reach the rate of 1 cent to 1 Gig.

I'm eagerly anticipating the day when I will finally be able to afford a 20 terabyte hard disk, lol. But for now I will be happy with having a 32 GB Micro SD Card in my R4i.

(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.zoomshare.com/2.shtml]R4i[/url] QDos)

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

preteen gay stories said...

Through thehaze and pain of physical exhaustion the solution came to me. He said that he had afeeling that I looked like I was not only a lonely women in needof sex but the type of women who would be submissive and mightaccept belonging to a black man.
free underage taboo stories
rape incest stories
teen titans sex stories
true stories of stepmom sex
stories of first time getting fucked
Through thehaze and pain of physical exhaustion the solution came to me. He said that he had afeeling that I looked like I was not only a lonely women in needof sex but the type of women who would be submissive and mightaccept belonging to a black man.